Matt Holland, an online fitness coach, shares his 90 day carb cycling and workout plan with us. He gives his tips on how to build a strong, ripped body. He’s a man with a lot of motivation to share!
Read his interview here and be sure to follow him on Aflete – the new health & fitness social network.
For those who don’t know you can you tell us a little about yourself?
My name is Matt Holland. I am 25 years old, former college football and lacrosse player. I am an online fitness coach, offering complete and customized nutritional and training programs for my clients. I currently work with NFL athletes, among many others ranging from all ages.
I come from many years of experience in the health and fitness world, being a fitness instructor since I was 17, and an athlete since I was about 7. I went to school for Chemistry and graduated with a BS in Science, with a focus on General Chemistry and Nutrition.
You have a strong physique – when did you know you wanted to develop your body this way and when did you start training?
I knew that I wanted to develop my body this way when I tore my ACL for the second time playing college football. My entire life, I lifted, trained hard, and always tried to do the right thing when it came to making sure I was my best self. I was strong, agile and, what I thought at the time, in the best shape of my life. It was then I had torn my ACL in my sophomore year, and again exactly 6 months later. This put me out of football and lacrosse for two years, being able to return for my senior year. I played, both football and lacrosse my last year, but my step was never the same. I was so top heavy from all of the training and lack thereof with my body half due to the injuries. I then took it upon myself to make a change. Start dieting the correct way, and start working out to allow for myself to live a longer and healthier life.
You have amazing abs and a strong core? Was this difficult to achieve? What are your favourite exercises?
The most difficult thing in order to achieve a strong core is the diet. But once you implement a strict diet into your life, it just becomes easier and easier as the days go on. Eating clean in addition to sound core exercises a recipe for success.
My favorite core exercise are hanging left lifts and the AB roller!
What are your training methods? 5 day body split? Cross fit? Power lifting? Etc?
I train 6 Days a week, alternating every other week between a focus on heavy weight training with minimal cardio vs. a focus on lighter weight training with maximal cardio and HIIT workouts.
What has been your diet during the process of building your physique, can you tell our readers what you eat in a typical day? Before and now?
I am on a carb cycling diet. I carb cycle for about a period of 4-6 weeks, where then I take about 1-2 weeks off to recover my body. In order to achieve maximal results, you need to keep your body guessing. When you diet a certain way, or train a certain way, your body learns how to adjust and it adapts to the environment and the stress that you’re placing on your body. When you make a change, your body almost turns into somewhat of a “panic” mode and starts to turn to different resources for energy, etc. This results in excess fat burn and is what keeps my body lean.
A typical Low Carb day for me consists of about 1 egg + 3 egg whites in the morning with 1 rice cake topped with 1 tbsp of peanut butter for breakfast. I have a snack that will be 1 scoop of a protein shake, lunch consists of either just 8-10 ounces of a protein, or 6 ounces of a protein + 1 cup of a vegetable. I have another snack about 2-3 hours later which will be something light, such as a yogurt or handful of nuts, and then dinner will be 8 oz of protein plus 1-2 cups of a vegetable. I end the day on another snack which will be another 1 scoop of a protein shake.
What is your 90-day fitness plan all about? Give us a preview, your methods and what to expect?
My 90 Day carb cycling and workout plan consists of many things such as:
- 90 Day Carb Cycling Diet – carb cycling has been shown to be the most effective form of dieting for my clients. It is a manipulation of carb intake and alternation between low and high carb days. This will target stored fat areas which is an extremely effective and easy form of dieting for burning fat and building muscle simultaneously. This diet is extremely detailed to the point where I will list out what you need to eat at every single meal, every week, for the entire 90 days and I will detail macro-nutrient counts for each meal as well as weekly totals.
- 90 Day Workout – I develop a workout that will go hand in hand with the diet. This training regimen will consist of heavier lifting days on higher carb days and focus more on high intensity and cardio days on lower carb days. Again, I list what you need to do in regards to exercises for every single day for the entirety of the 90 days.
- Complete AB Workout – Full and complete AB workout for 4 days a week for a total of 12 weeks. Again, detailed exercises detailing specific days, reps, and sets.
- In Home Workouts – A variety of workouts that can be done in the comfort of your own home without having to head to the gym. This is perfect for those busy days or even for those days where you just don’t feel like getting ready and heading out to the gym. These are quick, high intensity, and extremely effective.
- Supplement Analysis – I discuss supplements with my clients that may have had/or have not had experience with taking specific proteins, creatines, etc. I work with my clients one on one to determine what supplements will fit their goals. I have a supplement line where I can offer you my promotion code to get 20%. We touch more into detail on this during the first week
- Recipe Ideas – low carb/high carb recipe ideas.
- Grocery List – full grocery list of applicable foods. This gives my clients some flexibility when heading to the grocery store and allows for them to understand what foods are fair game. Believe me I definitely can attest to how boring it can get eating chicken every single day.
- Bi-weekly Consultations – Scheduled Bi-Weekly consultations with check-ins and follow ups.
As a personal trainer and online fitness coach what gives you more pleasure – seeing your own gains or seeing the gains of a client and knowing your work and advice has helped other people?
Gains of a client always! There is nothing more satisfying than knowing that you had a hand in someone’s success. It is rewarding and nothing can ever beat that.
When people struggle to see results would you advise them to change their routine, stick to the plan or something else?
Seeing results all takes time, and most importantly, motivation and discipline. I am not only here as a coach to provide knowledge, but I am here to work with my clients on a daily basis to make sure they’re staying on track, hitting the gym, and staying motivated. I get the opportunity to share a special bond with my clients, I get to know them on a personal level, and that speaks volumes to them.
How do you like our app Aflete? We have created a way for people to share and connect with other like-minded people who want to be healthier.
I have had not much time to play around with it yet, but I did make my profile and I am learning how to use it! I’ve already told a few of my clients about this so they’ll be checking it out.
How can people see more of you and get in touch?
People can reach out to me via email at email@example.com or on my Instagram @holland_fitness and follow me on Aflete Mathew_holland!